Amigo Energy Reviews
Amigo Energy is one of the largest and oldest REP in Texas, and offers a wide variety of products, including plans with free electricity at nights. While some customers may find an attractive fixed rate plan with Amigo, we think other providers offer better prices, are more reputable and offer better customer service.
Our Take on Amigo Energy
Looking for the right REP?Whether you are starting service or looking to choose the cheapest rate for your energy, call us at 832-460-0233 to switch suppliers in minutes!
Amigo Energy offers some innovative features such as free nights and weekends, and we like the wide range of plans that they offer. However, their prices seem fairly average (while they are not the most expensive, they do not seem to be the cheapest), and there have been some complaints about responsiveness and pricing.
Amigo Energy Prices
Amigo Energy's prices are somewhat competitive, with some innovative features like free nights and weekends. However, pricing can vary according to where you live. Call us at 1 (832) 460-0233 and tell us your zip code to get competing offers and find the lowest prices and best plans for you.
- Minimum Usage Fees: Amigo Energy charges minimum usage fees for several plans when usage is under 1000 kWh/month. Not only is this is a higher threshold than some competitors' plans, the Amigo Energy minimum usage fees can be as high as $19.95 per month.
- Usage Credits: On some plans Amigo Energy offers a bill credit for usage over a certain threshold
Given the minimimum usage fee policy, we recommend Amigo Energy to families rather than one- or two-person households that might not make the 1,000 kWh/month cutoff
Customers on a fixed rate contract with Amigo Energy will be automatically enrolled on to a month-to-month variable contract. We generally don't encourage customers to choose variable rate plans, because prices can rise unexpectedly in later months. Unless you have a specific reason to need a very short term plan with no early termination fee, it is better to shop around and lock in your rate with a fixed-term plan.
- Blend and Extend: Amigo Energy offers the possibility to "blend and extend" an existing plan to incorporate benefit lower market rates in exchange for lengthening the plan's term length.
Amigo Energy Customer Service
Amigo Energy offers extensive customer service in Spanish, which may be appealing for customers who are less comfortable communicating in English.
Amigo Energy is the subject of widespread negative views online (with the caveat that satisfied customers are less likely to take the initiative to write positive reviews). Complaints include:
- Fees for online payment coupled bills that arrive late and cascading late payment fees.
- Unresponsive customer service
Amigo Energy is not rated by the Better Business Bureau, and complaints regarding the company are aggregated with its parent company Just Energy. As of February 2016, the REP's complaint score with the Texas PUC was considered "lower than average". Most complaints filed with the Texas PUC have been in relation to billing problems.
From a review of online customer feedback, it seems like Amigo Energy has put some work into remedying the problems that some customers had experienced with their customer service department. This seems like a definite step in the right direction from Amigo Energy
Amigo Energy Contract Conditions
Amigo Energy's contract conditions and fee structure can be somewhat difficult to understand. You might want to be aware of the following:
- No early termination fee if you move and provide proof
- "Hidden" fees, including online payment fees, late payment fees, disconnection notice fees, and others, which change according to the plan.
Not Sure About Amigo Energy?Call us at 832-460-0233 to speak with an energy expert and find the lowest rates available in your area!
Find out more about Amigo Energy
Are you an Amigo Energy customer? Let us know your experiences in the comments below!