First Choice Power Reviews
First Choice Power has a long history of providing service in Texas, and offers a good variety of plan options. However, some First Choice Power customers have found additional (unexpected) fees on their bill. Is First Choice Power right for you? Find out here!
Our Take on First Choice Power
With the right plan, we think you could be happy with First Choice Power. Their prices are quite competitive, and the length of time that they have been in business is a testament to their success. However, no supplier is perfect.
Things we like about First Choice Power:
- Information about their plans (electricity facts label, terms of service, etc) is freely available and relatively easy to find on their website
- The terms of service is readable and relatively easy to understand (maybe it's because it's in bigger font?)
- Some customers may find the First Choice Power mobile app handy
Things about First Choice Power that we think customers should be aware of:
- Customers on E-pay need to watch out for additional fees: $5.95 fee to contact a First Choice Power customer care representative, $15 for not setting up autopay in time
- No green options available
Note that First Choice Energy's cancellation fee is $135, regardless of the length of contract you have chosen. While this is pretty steep for customers on a three month contract, it is slightly lower than what is charged by many other Texas REP for 12 or 24 month contracts
First Choice Power prices can be competitive though pricing can vary according to where you live. Note that First Choice Power charges a monthly base charge of $4.95, though this is incorporated into your price and does not change based on how much power you consume.
As is the case with all retail electric providers, customer reviews of First Choice Power are mixed. Some of the negative reviews of First Choice Power have mentioned:
- Surprise additional fees on their bill
- Receiving a disconnection notice (and having to pay a disconnection notice fee) only a few days after their bill was due
However, positive reviews of First Choice Power have noted positive experiences with customer service. Note that much of their customer service line is automated, so it may take some time to reach a real person on the other end of the line.
You should always carefully read through the Electricity Facts Label and the terms and conditions of any electricity contract that you're interested in before you make a final decision. We like that First Choice Power makes their terms and conditions easily accessible with the EFL and other information about their contracts. Here are a few features of the T&C for First Choice Power that you might want to be aware of:
- No early termination fee if you move and provide proof
- E-Plan customers may be charged additional fees for certain services
Also note that First Choice Power reserves the right to charge a minimum usage fees if they are listed in the EFL. If you consume less than 2,000 kWh/month, make sure to clarify whether your plan includes a minimum usage fees before signing a contract.
Still Unsure About First Choice Power? Call us at 1 (832) 460-0233 and tell us your zip code to get competing offers and find the lowest prices and best plans for you.