Oncor Dallas: About & Contact
Oncor is the TDU (Transmission & Distribution Utility) -aka the electric utility company- powering 70+ REPs to provide service to approximately 10 million Texans across the East, West, and North-Central state regions. A few major cities covered by Oncor include: Fort Worth, Arlington, Plano, Irving, Killeen, Midland, Waco, Tyler, and Wichita Falls.
Within Dallas city limits, Oncor provides power to neighborhoods, including (but not limited to):
- Northeast Dallas -
- Lakewood, White Rock, Old East Dallas (M Streets), Lake Highlands, Northeast Dallas and Far Northeast Dallas
- Southeast Dallas -
- Pleasant Grove, Fair Park, South Dallas and Southeast Dallas
- Cedar Crest -
- East Oak Cliff and Southeast Oak Cliff
- Uptown and North of downtown Dallas -
- Turtle Creek, Oak Lawn, North Dallas, and Far North Dallas
- Wolf Creek and Five Mile Creek -
- Red Bird and Central Oak Cliff
- Southwest Dallas and Winnetka Heights -
- Mountain Creek and West Oak Cliff
- Near East, Eagle Ford, and Northwest Dallas -
- Southwestern Medical District, West Dallas, Stemmons Corridor
- Northwest Dallas -
- Preston Hollow and Lake Caroline
- Love Field and Bluffview areas
If you are currently residing in these areas and are experiencing a blackout or similar electric problem, please contact Oncor immediately at 888-313-4747 (available 24/7).
Moving to the Dallas area (i.e. 75217, 75211, 75228, 75243) and need to start electricity service with Oncor Electric Delivery?
Although Oncor Electric Delivery is the main TDU in this area, TNMP is the other utility that serves communities in surrounding areas (Lewisville, Gatesville, and surrounding communities). When in doubt, your best bet would be to contact either utility company to ensure you start out on the right foot setting up an electricity service for your new home. Start by calling Oncor's customer service number listed below to find out whether they provide service to your address. If, by chance, Oncor doesn't cover your location, give TNMP's customer service line a call to confirm (or another utility until you can confirm which one covers your home).
- Oncor Electric Delivery's customer service: 888-313-6862
- Texas New Mexico Power's (TNMP) customer service: 888-866-7456
- CenterPoint Energy's customer service: 800-427-7142
- AEP Texas North's customer service: 877-373-4858
- Sharyland Utilities's customer service: 866-354-3335
- AEP Texas Central's customer service: 877-373-4858
Another easy method to understand which TDU produces your electricity is to reference the ESI ID / ESID on the electric meter for your new address. This number is anywhere between 17 and 22 digits long, but all we need are five of those (digits 3 to 7) to know which utiltiy company the meter belongs to. The first two digits will be a ´´10´´ followed by the five digit TDU identity code. [For example: ´´10number86034669210]
|five digit number||Transmission & Distribution Utility company|
|44372||Oncor Electric Delivery|
|40051||Texas New Mexico Power (TNMP)|
|03278||AEP TX Central|
|13830||Nueces Electric Coop|
|20404||AEP TX North|
After finding out which utility company covers your area, the only other step is to decide which Retail Energy Provider (REP) to go with! Once decided, starting service is pretty straightforward. To open an account in your name you will simply need to call your favorite REP and provide:
- Your exact address (including your street address, unit number, city/town, and zip code)
- Your full name and contact information (phone number, email, address)
- The date you require service (in other words, the date you move in)
Many REPs require a security deposit to activate accounts for new customers, so you may also be asked for your Social Security Number (SSN) in order for the provider to perform a credit check.
For a head-start, below are a few of the most recognized electric companies in Texas:
For issues experienced by customers, the Public Utility Commission of Texas wesite maintains a fairly current listing of formal Complaint statistics for Energy companies. The list ranks from the highest number of complaints to lowest so perhaps working from the bottom of the list to the top may be the most time-efficient way to go about finding your next provider.
Oncor Electric Delivery customer service
Your local electric utility is responsible for responding to power outages or electricity-related emergencies. Contact them immediately if your power goes out unexpectedly, or if you witness a dangerous situation involving downed power lines or any potential hazard (such as branches touching power lines). In most cases, for all other concerns, including questions about your bill, payment, or any other issue, call their customer service number.
|Point||Address||Contact for:||Phone number||Schedule|
|Oncor Electric Delivery||1616 Woodall Rodgers Fwy., 75202 Dallas,||General inquiries & Service requests||888-313-6862||8 am to 6 pm (Mon - Fri)|
|Oncor Electric Delivery||Outages||888-313-4747||24/7|
About Oncor Electric Delivery
Would you like Oncor Electric Delivery?
Oncor Electric Delivery will be happy to answer any questions you might have about starting your electricity service including questions about electricity rates or billing.