Moving Out: Turning Off Your Electricity and Gas Service with Central Hudson in New York State

How to Terminate Service

If you are moving out of your current address and you would like to turn off your Central Hudson electricity or gas service, you can cancel your service over the phone by calling Central Hudson customer service at 1-845-452-2700 from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Monday - Friday), and 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM (Saturday). If you are calling from outside the 845 area code you can call 1-800-527-2714.

You will need to contact Central Hudson at least five business days in advance before you are planning to move out, to ensure that you are not billed for extra days. When cancelling you will need to provide your:

  • Central Hudson account number
  • Address
  • Expected move-out date

There are no termination fees.

Procedure to Close an ESCO Account

If you have a contract with an Alternative Energy Supply Company (ESCO), you do not need to take any additional steps. Once your Central Hudson service is terminated, your ESCO contract will automatically end as well. There are however often associated fees with early service termination for an ESCO. Be sure to study your agreement to see what early termination conditions you may have.

Moving Into a New Home

Inside Central Hudson Service Territory

If you are moving into another home in Central Hudson service territory, you can do simply call Central Hudson to do a service transfer. It also takes Central Hudson up to five business days to start up service in your new home.

Outside of Central Hudson Service Territory

If your new home is outside of Central Hudson territory, you will need to contact your new utility to sign up for electricity or gas service. If you are moving to a new home in New York state, consult our new electricty service and new gas service articles to find your new utility's instructions for starting service.

Updated on