How to Cancel Electricity and Gas Service with ConEdison When Moving Out


Moving can be a big job. Luckily, ending your ConEdison contract when you move is easy. Learn how to end your electricity service when you move out of the ConEdison service area.

Stopping your ConEdison Service

If your new home is outside of ConEdison gas and electricity service territories, you will need to cancel your service at least 24 hours in advance by calling ConEdison Customer Service at 1-800-752-6633. Advance notice helps you to avoid being charged for extra days. To close your account, you will need to provide ConEdison with:

  • Your ConEdison account number
  • Your address & expected move out date

Important: If your moving out date changes, be sure to let ConEdison know as soon as possible.

You can also stop your ConEdison service online, through your online account. Check the ConEdison website for more information.

If you are moving within New York state, check out our guide to moving in New York to find out how to start electricity or natural gas service with your local your utility.

Moving, but Staying in New York?Call us at phone currently not available to activate electricity service and supply in minutes

Transferring ConEdison Service

If you are moving into a new home in ConEdison gas or electricity service territory, all you need to do is to call ConEdison directly to transfer your service to your new address. Call ConEdison at least 24 hours before you plan on moving out, and you will be able to end your service at one address and restart it at another during the same phone call.

You will need to provide the following information to transfer your account:

  • ConEdison Account Number
  • Current Address & Move Out Date
  • Future Address & Move In Date
  • Updated Telephone Number

If you're staying within the ConEdison service area, check out our guide to moving into the Conedison service area, including how to activate your new ConEdison account and supply with an Energy Supply Company (ESCO).

Terminating Your ESCO Service

You should notify your ESCO of your upcoming move. How much notice you need to give will depend on the ESCO's terms and conditions, but it's ideal to provide at least one month's notice. In many cases you may be able to continue with your ESCO, if they provide service in your new home. If you are moving out of an area where your ESCO can provide service, you should be able to close your account without paying any termination fees. Make sure to check the terms of your ESCO plan before closing your account, so that you can verify whether you may have to pay termination fees or what kind of documentation you need to provide to have them waived.

Updated on