Turning Off your Natural Gas Service with National Fuel in New York State

This article describes how to turn off your National Fuel service when moving out of your home in New York state.

Moving Out: How to Turn Off Service

For customers moving out of National Fuel service territory, you will need to call customer service at 1-716-686-6123 (or 1-800-365-3234 from another state) at least ten days before your move out date. This is because a National Fuel technician will need to come to your home and get a meter reading before you move out, in order to charge you the correct amount on your final bill.

You will need to provide the following information to terminate service:

  • Name
  • National Fuel account number
  • Planned move out date

You may also need to provide your social security number for verification purposes.

Transferring Service

If you are moving into a new home within National Fuel's service territory, you may be able turn off your current service and start it up in your new home in one phone call. In some instances though National Fuel will need to make an appointment to read your meter at your new home.

No matter what, a technician will need to come to your current home before you move out to read your meter. Be sure to call National Fuel approximately 10 days in advance before your move out date, which allows enough time to both end and start new service. If your new home already has pipeline service, activation will take around 5 days. If there is no pipeline, however, installation can take 10 days or more. If you think there may be a problem with your new home's pipeline, you are advised to call as soon as possible. You will need to pay pipeline installation fees before your new service can begin.

To transfer service, you will need to provide information including:

  • Name
  • National Fuel account number
  • Planned move out date
  • New Address & Planned move in date
  • Any changes to your account information

If natural gas has been cut at your new home, it may take longer to activate your new service.

Read more about starting new service with National Fuel.

Cancelling ESCO service

If you have an alternative Energy Service Company (ESCO) supplier for your natural gas service, you will not need to take any extra steps to end your service when you move out. However, most ESCOs charge a cancellation fee for fixed rate plans unless you show proof of move out. Be sure to check your ESCO plan's service conditions in order to know whether you will need to provide this proof to avoid fees.

Picking a New ESCO

You will need to sign up with your new utility before you can choose a new ESCO provider. If you are moving within the state, check out specific instructions on how to sign up for new natural gas or electric service with each utility in New York state.

Updated on