How to End your NYSEG Electricity and Gas Service when Moving Out

Ending Your NYSEG Service

If you are moving into a new home outside of NYSEG territory, you will need to call and terminate your electricity or gas service at least 1-2 business days in advance to ensure that you are not billed for extra days. The sooner you can call the better, however, as having your service turned off depends on technician availability. If your move out date changes after you have called to schedule your service turn off, be sure to call NYSEG before your scheduled date to ensure you do not go without service.

When calling NYSEG you will need to give the technician the following information:

  • NYSEG account number
  • Current address
  • Expected move out date

In order to start service in your new home, you will need to call your new electricity and gas utilities. If you are moving within the state of New York, consult our new electricity service and new gas service pages to see what process to follow with your new utility.

Transferring your Service

If you are moving to a new home within NYSEG service territory, you can switch service from your old to new address. Be sure to call at least 5 days in advance to ensure your new NYSEG service is activated in time.

During your call be sure to have information ready, including:

  • NYSEG account number
  • Current address and expected move-out date
  • Future address and expected move-in date
  • Updated Contact Details

Cancelling your ESCO Service

Luckily, if you have an Energy Service Company (ESCO) you will not need to take any extra steps to cancel service. When you move out and end your electricity or gas account(s) with NYSEG, your ESCO service will also end automatically. However, your ESCO plan may have an early termination fee. Be sure to check your plan's conditions to know whether you will have to pay a fee or not.

NYSEG Contact Information

You can reach NYSEG Customer Service at 1-800-572-1111 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m (Monday through Friday).

Updated on