How to Cancel National Grid Gas and Electricity Service in New York State


Moving in New York?We can help you activate your National Grid service in minutes. Call us at phone currently not available for more information

Stopping Your National Grid Service

If you are moving to a new home outside of the National Grid service territory, you will need to stop electricity or gas service with National Grid.

In order to do stop your National Grid service, you must notify National Grid, either online or over the phone. It is a good idea to provide at least seven (7) days' notice.

If you already have an account online, you can put in a stop service request on your online account. Otherwise, to reach National Grid over the phone, call 1-800-642-4272. Their customer service hours are from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday to Friday.

During your call to National Grid you will need to provide the following information to close your gas or electricity account:

  • Your National Grid account number
  • Your service address
  • Expected move-out date

If your move-out date changes, be sure to contact National Grid before your original move-out date, to avoid any interruptions to service.

You will need to contact your new electricity and gas provider(s) to start service before moving into your new home. Check out our guide to starting electricity and gas service for specifics on how to start service with your new utility when you move in New York state.

Transferring your National Grid Service

If you are moving into a new home in National Grid territory, congratulations! You will be able to end your old electricity or gas service and start service in your new home in the same call. It can take up to up to seven (7) days to start up new National Grid service, so be sure to call at least a week in advance to make the switch. Read more about signing up for a new National Grid account, including finding an ESCO.

When you call National Grid to transfer your electricity or gas service, you will need to provide the following information:

  • Your National Grid account number
  • Your current address and the date of your move
  • Your future address and date for moving in
  • Any updated account information

Cancelling Your ESCO Service

If you have a contract with an Energy Service Company (ESCO), it is a good idea to contact them directly if you are moving, as you may be able to transfer your service to your new home.

However, you may need to terminate your plan if you are moving to an area out of your ESCO's service area. Check the terms and conditions of your ESCO plan to find out if there will be a fee for early termination.

Updated on