CPS Energy San Antonio : customer service, outage, and area

Energy Texas

Although AEP Central is the deregulated transmission and distribution untility (TDU) operating in the surrounding counties, City Public Service (CPS) Energy dominates the San Antonio, Texas area. CPS Energy is the nation´s largest municipally owned electric utility company and provides services to nearly 1.2 million San Antonians (70% electric and 30% natural gas).

CPS Energy : Service area

The service area that CPS Energy covers includes:

  • 100% of Bexar County (San Antonio)
  • 10-25% of Medina County and Comal County
  • Very limited service in:
    • Atascosa County,
    • Guadalupe County,
    • Kendall County,
    • Bandera County, and
    • Wilson County

Apart from CPS Energy, in neighboring Bandera County (Boerne, Comfort, and Medina communities) is another municipally owned electric utility - Bandera Electric Cooperative. BEC´s service area spans Bandera County entirely and even overlaps to the west and south into Real County and Uvalde County, respectively.

Moving to Bexar County (i.e. 78207, 78250, 78228, 78201) and need to start electric service with CPS Energy?

As mentioned above, in this area there are more than one distributor, so the first step in starting electricity service for your new home is to find which utility company serves your address. Start by calling CPS Energy's customer service number listed below to find out whether they provide service to your address. If they don't, try another utility until you find the utility that serves your home.

  1. City Public Service Board of San Antonio's customer service: 210-353-2222
  2. Bandera Electric Coop, Inc.'s customer service: 830-995-2824 or 866-226-3372 (toll-free)

Once you have found your utility, starting service is straightforward. To open an account in your name you will simply need to call them and provide:

  • The location where you need the service (full address and zipcode)
  • Your full name and contact information (email, phone number and address)
  • The date you require service (in other words, the date you move in)

Many electric utility companies require a security deposit to activate accounts for new customers, so you may also be asked for your Social Security Number (SSN) in order for the utility to perform a credit check.

Moving from the San Antonio area to another part of Texas? A majority of Texas residents live in deregulated electric zones where the competition between +70 electric providers enables the power to choose from electricity plans that offer 100% renewable energy, rate type options, or even annual freezes on summer rates!

CPS Energy : Power outage and customer service 

Your local electric utility is responsible for responding to blackout or similar electric problems. In case of a power interruption, call its emergency number. Also in case you witness a dangerous situation involving power lines (a tree branch too close to a electric line). In most cases, for all other concerns, including questions about your bill, payment, or any other issue, call their customer service number.

Report a CPS Energy power outage If your power goes out, call the CSP Energy power outage phone number at 1-210-353-4357 or complete the CPS Energy outage report online.

For assistance in opening an account, you can visit the closest office:

CPS Energy & BEC office locations and phone number
Office Address Phone number
Bandera Electric Coop, Inc. 3172 Hwy. 16 North, 78003 Bandera 866-226-3372
CPS Energy
San Antonio
7000 San Pedro, 78216 210-353-2222
803 Castroville Rd, Ste 406, 78296 210-353-2222
660 S.W. Military, 78221 210-353-2222
4525 Rigsby Rd, 78222 210-353-2222

About Bandera Electric Coop, Inc.

Would you like to know more about Bandera Electric Coop, Inc.?

Bandera Electric Coop, Inc. will be happy to answer any questions you might have about starting your electricity service including questions about electricity rates or billing in its contact phone 830-995-2824.

About City Public Service Board of San Antonio

Would you like to know more about City Public Service Board of San Antonio?

City Public Service Board of San Antonio will be happy to answer any questions you might have about starting your electricity service including questions about electricity rates or billing in its contact phone 210-353-2222.

The closest cities


Updated on