How to End your PSEG Long Island Electricity Service when Moving Out


Moving in New York State?We can help you activate your PSEG Long Island service in minutes. Call us at phone currently not available for more information

Stopping Your PSEG Long Island Service

If you are moving to a new home outside of the PSEG Long Island service territory, you will need to stop electricity service with PSEG Long Island.

In order to do stop your PSEG Long Island service, you must notify PSEG Long Island, either online or over the phone. It is a good idea to provide at least seven (7) days' notice.

If you already have an account online, you can put in a stop service request on your online account. Otherwise, to reach PSEG Long Island over the phone, call 1-800-490-0025. Their customer service hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.

During your call to PSEG Long Island you will need to provide the following information to close your gas or electricity account:

  • Your PSEG Long Island account number
  • Your service address
  • Expected move-out date

If your move-out date changes, be sure to contact PSEG Long Island before your original move-out date, to avoid any interruptions to service.

You will need to contact your new electricity provider to start service before moving into your new home. Check out our guides to starting electricity service and starting gas service for specifics on how to start service with your new utility when you move in New York state.

Transferring your PSEG Long Island Service

If you are moving into a new home in PSEG Long Island territory, congratulations! You will be able to end your old electricity service and start service in your new home in the same call. It can take up to up to seven (7) days to start up new PSEG Long Island service, so be sure to call at least a week in advance to make the switch. Read more about signing up for a new PSEG Long Island account, including finding an ESCO.

When you call PSEG Long Island to transfer your electricity service, you will need to provide the following information:

  • Your PSEG Long Island account number
  • Your current address and the date of your move
  • Your future address and date for moving in
  • Any updated account information

Cancelling Your ESCO Service

If you have a contract with an Energy Service Company (ESCO), it is a good idea to contact them directly if you are moving, as you may be able to transfer your service to your new home.

However, you may need to terminate your plan if you are moving to an area out of your ESCO's service area. Check the terms and conditions of your ESCO plan to find out if there will be a fee for early termination.

Updated on