Stop service electric or gas: Step-by-Step guide for movers

Updated on
min reading
stop service

Moving is stressful. Fortunately, stopping electricity or natural gas service when you're moving is simple.

Step 1. Contact Your Utility

You should provide at least five (5) business days' notice when closing your account, but we recommend providing about one month's notice when closing an account with your electricity or natural gas utility. You can either call your utility to stop service and close your account, or you can make the request online (if you have an online account already activated.

You will need to provide the following information to close your account:

  • Your full name
  • Your utility account number
  • The date that you are moving
  • A forwarding address for your final bill
  • You may be asked for your social security number for verification purposes

Final Meter Reading

Depending on your utility company, they may want to send a representative to take a final meter reading to ensure that your final bill will be correct. However, if you have a smart meter, this will not be necessary.

Security Deposit

If you have paid a security deposit for your electricity or gas service, it will be returned to you (if it hasn't already) on your last bill. Most utilities will credit your security deposit to your final bill. They will send any remaining security deposit to you at your forwarding adress.

Service With an Alternate Supplier

If you purchase electricity or natural gas from an alternate supplier, you should also notify them of your upcoming move about one month before your moving date. In many cases, they should be able to transfer your account with them to your new address. However, if the supplier does not provide service at your new home, you should be able to end your plan with no penalty or termination fee. Make sure to check the terms and conditions of your plan for more details, as sometimes they will require specific documentation as evidence of your move.

To close an account with an alternate supplier, either call their customer service number or log on to your online account on their website and provide them with the following information:

  • Your customer account number
  • The date of your move
  • Your forwarding address

Moving to Texas or already there? A majority of Texas residents live in deregulated electric zones where the competition between +70 electric providers enables the power to choose from electricity plans that offer 100% renewable energy, rate type options, or even annual freezes on summer rates!

Step 2. Activate Service for Your New Home

Once you have closed your existing utility account to stop service at your old address, you will need to activate an account with your new utility to start service. You can find your new utility via our directory, by clicking on your state and then finding your city/zip code.

You can find a detailed explanation in our guide to starting utility service when you move, but here is a brief summary of what you need to do to activate an account with your new utility:

  1. Find your utility - start by finding your state, or simply call us at phone currently not available with your new address and zip code to find out which utility provides service at your new home
  2. Contact your new utility to open an account. For this you will need to provide your new address, move-in date, full name and contact information (phone number, email address, etc), as well as your Social Security Number
  3. Choose an energy supplier for your new home. If energy choice is available where you live, you will be able to choose a supplier for your energy. You may choose to purchase energy from your utility, or you may want to look into what offers are available from the competition. Alternate suppliers provide you with a variety of options, including fixed rates, the opportunity for savings, green energy, and superior customer service.